How to File an Amendment for Your Delaware Company

By Andrew Millman Monday, March 5, 2018

file an amendment for my companyDo you need to file an amendment for your Delaware company?  It’s not as uncommon as you might think. In fact, we have many clients who find the need to file an amendment for the same company again and again, year after year. 

Maybe you just need to make a minor change to the name of your Delaware LLC, Delaware Corporation or Delaware Limited Partnership, such as adding a word, a number, a roman numeral, a period or a capital letter.

Perhaps the original name you chose for your company no longer conveys the right message and/or doesn’t do justice to the services or products you offer, so you’d like to change it completely. 

Or maybe the stock structure for your Delaware Corporation needs to be adjusted. Did your pool of investors change and you need to amend the number of authorized shares, adjust the par value or re-establish voting rights?

Maybe you just need to amend the name or address of the General Partner in your Delaware Limited Partnership

Did you know you can make more than one change in a single amendment?  If you need to amend more than just one aspect of your original corporation or LLC, you can do so.

That means you can amend the company name and change your Registered Agent, or increase the number of authorized shares as well as the voting rights. You can even update the company name and the name and address of the General Partner plus change the Delaware Registered Agent information. We can do for you, and do it all at once.

Whatever the necessary change(s) may be, we can help make it happen.  We’ll go over everything and get the information required, then prepare and email the Certificate of Amendment for signature. Once executed and returned, we’ll file the Certificate of Amendment with the state of Delaware’s Division of Corporations. Generally, state approval takes 3-4 business days.  We even offer express 24-hour approval.

If you have any questions about establishing a new or amending an existing Delaware company, please reach out to me today at or 800-345-2677, Ext. 6133, or dial me directly at 302-644-6265. 

*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By Andrew Millman

There is 1 comment left for How to File an Amendment for Your Delaware Company

Will said: Wednesday, March 7, 2018

My last name has legally changed, do I have to get the articles of inc. amended?

HBS Staff replied: Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Typically, company owners' names are not listed on a Delaware company's formation documents. If you think yours may be, you can contact us with your company name and we can check your formation documents for you. Email us for assistance.

Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published