EIN Confirmation Letter

EIN Confirmation letterYour new company has been formed, the Federal Tax ID Number (also known as an Employer Identification Number or EIN) has been obtained and everything seems to be in place, until your bank asks for confirmation of the EIN issued by the IRS. Now what?

IRS Form CP 575

The IRS sends out an EIN confirmation letter for every EIN application it processes. This EIN confirmation letter is called CP 575, and the IRS only mails the letter to the mailing address listed on line 4 of the SS-4 application. Unfortunately, you cannot get a copy of the IRS EIN confirmation letter online. The IRS will not email or fax the letter, they will send it via mail within eight to ten weeks of issuing your company a Federal Tax ID Number.

What to Do if You Need the Letter Immediately?

Sometimes your bank or a vendor may request to see the official IRS EIN confirmation letter. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for people to misplace the letter; in addition, it seems as if many international business owners never receive the EIN confirmation letter—it appears to get lost in transit.

If either of these scenarios happens to you, don’t worry—there is a solution if you don’t have possession of the IRS EIN letter. You can contact the IRS directly and request a replacement confirmation letter called a 147C letter.

Start by calling the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line toll free at 1-800-829-4933 (or if you are calling outside the United States at 267-941-1099) between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM EST. Press 1, Press 1 again, then Press 3. When you reach them, request a 147C letter. The IRS representative is going to ask you:

  • Verification identity questions
  • They will ask if you can receive documents via fax. You have to say "Yes"
  • Are you near the fax machine - "Yes" (Don't mention that you are using an e-fax)

Provide them with your fax number. If you do not have one and Harvard Business Services, Inc. obtained the EIN number on behalf of your company, feel free to request that the 147C letter be faxed to us at (302) 645-1280. Once the fax has been received, we will email the IRS EIN letter to you as a courtesy.

If you have any questions about obtaining an EIN for your Delaware company or requesting a 147C letter from the IRS, feel free to contact us with your questions at 320-645-7400 x6910 or email us at filings@delawareinc.com 


Next: What Is an EIN Responsible Party?


*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By Brett Melson

There are 36 comments left for EIN Confirmation Letter

Alfretha Martin said: Monday, March 8, 2021

I need a ein letter 147C

HBS Staff replied: Monday, March 8, 2021

Hello Alfretha,

Thank you for reading our article. Thie letter comes directly from the IRS and to request a new one you will need to contact them directly at 1-800-829-4933.

SHERAZ GOONDALL said: Monday, February 22, 2021


HBS Staff replied: Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Hello Sheraz,

Thank you for reading our article. To obtain the EIN Letter 147C you will need to reach out to the IRS directly. They can be reached at 1-800-829-4933. 

Pearline Jordan said: Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Please Provide me with a EIN confirmation Letter. thank you.

HBS Staff replied: Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Pearline, we reached out via email to help you more with this inquiry.

Alphonso Wise said: Wednesday, December 23, 2020

I need a copy of my EIN

HBS Staff replied: Monday, December 28, 2020

If you obtained the EIN through Harvard Business Services, our team will be happy to assist you. Just send an email to filings@delawareinc.com and include your company information. If you applied for the EIN directly with the IRS, you will need to contact them for support.

Ma Cho Cho said: Thursday, December 17, 2020

I want to replacement my ein confirmation letter. My correct business name is Triple light cleaning LLC

HBS Staff replied: Thursday, December 17, 2020

If you obtained your EIN through Harvard Business Services, we would be happy to double check the form that was submitted to make sure it had the correct spelling. Just contact our team at filings@delawareinc.com. If you obtained the EIN directly from the IRS, please contact the IRS to determine how to correct the error.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published