EIN Confirmation Letter

EIN Confirmation letterYour new company has been formed, the Federal Tax ID Number (also known as an Employer Identification Number or EIN) has been obtained and everything seems to be in place, until your bank asks for confirmation of the EIN issued by the IRS. Now what?

IRS Form CP 575

The IRS sends out an EIN confirmation letter for every EIN application it processes. This EIN confirmation letter is called CP 575, and the IRS only mails the letter to the mailing address listed on line 4 of the SS-4 application. Unfortunately, you cannot get a copy of the IRS EIN confirmation letter online. The IRS will not email or fax the letter, they will send it via mail within eight to ten weeks of issuing your company a Federal Tax ID Number.

What to Do if You Need the Letter Immediately?

Sometimes your bank or a vendor may request to see the official IRS EIN confirmation letter. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for people to misplace the letter; in addition, it seems as if many international business owners never receive the EIN confirmation letter—it appears to get lost in transit.

If either of these scenarios happens to you, don’t worry—there is a solution if you don’t have possession of the IRS EIN letter. You can contact the IRS directly and request a replacement confirmation letter called a 147C letter.

Start by calling the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line toll free at 1-800-829-4933 (or if you are calling outside the United States at 267-941-1099) between 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM EST. Press 1, Press 1 again, then Press 3. When you reach them, request a 147C letter. The IRS representative is going to ask you:

  • Verification identity questions
  • They will ask if you can receive documents via fax. You have to say "Yes"
  • Are you near the fax machine - "Yes" (Don't mention that you are using an e-fax)

Provide them with your fax number. If you do not have one feel free to request that the 147C letter be faxed to us at (302) 645-1280. Once the fax has been received, we will email the IRS EIN letter to you as a courtesy.

If you have any questions about obtaining an EIN for your Delaware company or requesting a 147C letter from the IRS, feel free to contact us with your questions at 320-645-7400 x6910 or email us at filings@delawareinc.com 


Next: What Is an EIN Responsible Party?


*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By Brett Melson

There are 36 comments left for EIN Confirmation Letter

Haashim Pierson said: Saturday, October 17, 2020

Have not received EIN number. My address has changed.

HBS Staff replied: Monday, October 19, 2020

We appreciate your patience as we wait for the IRS to issue your EIN. They continue to face significant delays. Once your EIN has been issued, you can submit a change of address to the IRS to update their records. There is no action that needs to be taken before you receive the EIN.

Kevin lattisaw said: Friday, October 16, 2020

Need copy of EIN

HBS Staff replied: Monday, October 19, 2020

Kevin, please see the article above for information on how to obtain a replacement EIN confirmation from the IRS. If you did not obtain the EIN through our services, we won't have any record of your EIN.

randa kira said: Wednesday, August 5, 2020

I have EIN i need now EIN Confirmation Letter contact IRS need send fax i haven't fax you can help me

HBS Staff replied: Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The IRS does not allow us to request a confirmation letter on your behalf. If you obtained your EIN through our services, you can ask the IRS to fax the letter to us at 1-302-645-1280.

Susan Goodhope said: Tuesday, August 4, 2020

I have applied and gotten an EIN number for Robert Chris Goodhope Estate now the bank is asking me for a conformation letter Will you please email it to me at the above address so I can continue to open the estate account. In advance thank you for your assistance

HBS Staff replied: Tuesday, August 4, 2020

If you obtained the EIN through Harvard Business Services, our team will be happy to assist you. Just send an email to filings@delawareinc.com and include your company information. If you applied for the EIN directly with the IRS, you will need to contact them for support.

Aaerikiae Webb said: Thursday, July 23, 2020

I just filed for my EIN and now it's not letting me print off my confirmation letter.

HBS Staff replied: Thursday, July 23, 2020

If you applied for the EIN through Harvard Business Services, we would be happy to assist. Simply call or email us at filings@delawareinc.com for assistance. If you filed directly with the IRS, you can try calling them at 1-800-429-4933 for support.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8

Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published