How to Change Your Business Address

change address of responsible party

Whether you've outgrown your office or just want to relocate, moving a company can be tough. Making a move means you'll need to update your business address with the IRS, but did you know that you'll also need to update the IRS with any changes to your company's responsible party on your EIN (Employer Identification Number)?

If you incorporated your entity and have obtained your EIN for your company, you provided contact information for a "responsible party." The responsible party is an officer or member of your company. If that person changed since you obtained your EIN, you'll need to update the responsible party on file with the IRS.

Luckily, the company address change process isn't complicated.

How to Change Your Business Address:

As of Jan. 1, 2014, the IRS requires the form called the Change of Address or Responsible Party — Business form 8822B to be utilized by businesses to update their current contact information for the EIN responsible party on file with the IRS. This form must be filed to report the most current information for this responsible party within 60 days of the change.

The reason the IRS has now provided this new requirement for address changes is because they need to be able to update their records so that any tax refunds, or any other IRS communications can be sent to the appropriate party in a timely fashion. When choosing an individual for their Responsible Party, most businesses will appoint an individual who is authorized or has control over the funds and assets in the entity.

The new regulations require you to report any of the following changes:

  • Business mailing address
  • Business location (if different from your mailing address)
  • Identity of the responsible party

Make sure that you include details like the suite, apartment, or room number when submitting a new business address. You don’t want to miss the deadlines set out in these requirements.

You can use a P.O. Box, but only if your post office does not deliver to your physical address. A foreign address is also acceptable.

For an individual to serve as a business's responsible party, you will need to list their full and correct name, social security number, or ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number).

You will need to include all the previous responsible party information and the new information as well. Once the form has been completed, you'll need to send it to the Department of the Treasury, at your nearest Internal Revenue Service Center.

Let us know if we can assist you with any questions or concerns regarding how to change your business address. We would be happy to help. Simply call us at 1-800-345-2677.

*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By HBS

There are 11 comments left for How to Change Your Business Address

Evan Gappelberg said: Monday, June 21, 2021

I've submitted the 8822B form to the IRS quite a few months ago, and have received nothing back from the IRS. After they officially change the address how will i know? Will I receive a new EIN doc with the new address on it? How do I know they actually made the address change?

HBS Staff replied: Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Hi Evan, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRS has been processing requests on delayed basis, but we can help mitigate if needed. Here's a link on to how to request EIN confirmation. If the change has been made, it will be confirmed in that request. Visit: 

Zak said: Friday, March 12, 2021

The form 8822 is used to update Mailing, Physical and Responsible party. When filing this form if only the physical address is changed do we need to fill in the rest information if nothing has changed or we keep it blank? Also can you mention the form of filing such form, sealed envelop, addressed to who, etc.. and which address for Delaware C-Corp Note you are our agent

HBS Staff replied: Monday, March 15, 2021


Thank you for reading our article and your questions. We will contact you directly to further assist you with your questions.

Dominic Mac-Ennin said: Tuesday, October 20, 2020

I listed Ecommerce as part of my principal line of work, I'd like to update this to Marketing Consultancy and Information Products. How do I do this, please? Thank you.

HBS Staff replied: Tuesday, October 20, 2020

You would need to contact the IRS directlyif you wish to make this change. You can write a letter with the update and send to: Internal Revenue Service, Stop 6055, Kansas City, MO 64999. 

Charles Skinner said: Friday, October 16, 2020

Change address

HBS Staff replied: Monday, October 19, 2020

Hi Charles, if you have questions about changing your business address, feel free to use our Live Chat during business hours, or just send us an email!

Joohyung Lee said: Friday, April 3, 2020

Can I Have change my company address? Thank you.

HBS Staff replied: Monday, April 6, 2020

Typically, to make this change with the IRS, clients simply file form 8822B with them directly. Then, please let your Registered Agent (whether that's us or someone else) know, as well as other parties such as your bank and vendors.

1 | 2 | 3

Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published