How to Change Your Business Address

change address of responsible party

Whether you've outgrown your office or just want to relocate, moving a company can be tough. Making a move means you'll need to update your business address with the IRS, but did you know that you'll also need to update the IRS with any changes to your company's responsible party on your EIN (Employer Identification Number)?

If you incorporated your entity and have obtained your EIN for your company, you provided contact information for a "responsible party." The responsible party is an officer or member of your company. If that person changed since you obtained your EIN, you'll need to update the responsible party on file with the IRS.

Luckily, the process isn't complicated.

Here's how to do it:

As of Jan. 1, 2014, the IRS requires the form called the Change of Address or Responsible Party — Business form 8822B to be utilized by businesses to update their current contact information for the EIN responsible party on file with the IRS. This form must be filed to report the most current information for this responsible party within 60 days of the change.

The reason the IRS has now provided this new requirement is because they need to be able to update their records so that any tax refunds, or any other IRS communications can be sent to the appropriate party in a timely fashion. Most businesses will appoint an individual who is authorized or has control over the funds and assets in the entity.

The new regulations require you to report any of the following changes:

  • Business mailing address
  • Business location (if different from your mailing address)
  • Identity of the responsible party

Make sure that you include details like the suite, apartment, or room number. You don’t want to miss the deadlines set out in these requirements.

You can use a P.O. Box, but only if your post office does not deliver to your physical address. A foreign address is also acceptable.

For an individual, you will need to list their full and correct name, social security number, or ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number).

You will need to include all the previous responsible party information and the new information as well. Once the form has been completed, you'll need to send it to the Department of the Treasury, at your nearest Internal Revenue Service Center.

Let us know if we can assist you with any questions or concerns regarding how to change your business address. We would be happy to help. Simply call us at 1-800-345-2677.

*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By HBS

There are 11 comments left for How to Change Your Business Address

Shahin said: Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Hello. My company name is AVRORA LLC and I want change my business address of my company. Should i change my EIN mailing address too? or? I would like to know link between this 2. Thanks in advance.

HBS Staff replied: Tuesday, November 19, 2019

The IRS requires the Change of Address or Responsible Party — Business form 8822B to be filed by businesses to update their current contact information for the EIN responsible party on file with the IRS. This form must be filed to report the most current information for this responsible party within 60 days of the change.

ADIL ES SAADOUNY said: Friday, August 3, 2018

hello my name is adil es saadouny I opened a company on you website under name : ESHOPFX STORE I want to change my business mailing address to our official email how I can do that? thank you

HBS Staff replied: Friday, August 10, 2018

Adil -- To change the communications contact, address or email on file call 800 345 2677 ext 6903 a live person will answer right away, email or click here:

Eric said: Thursday, May 24, 2018

If am going to fill out the 8822B so that the IRS changes my address, and I emailed to make sure you guys send stuff to the right place, but do I need to inform the state of Delaware about the change of address?

HBS Staff replied: Tuesday, May 29, 2018

You’re all set!  No need to report the change to the state of Delaware.

ZENAS HOLDINGS LLC said: Sunday, May 6, 2018

Harvard Business Services is my company's registered agent. My company has moved offices. How do I update my company's mailing address with HBS so that mail is no longer sent to the old address?

HBS Staff replied: Monday, May 7, 2018

You can send that information to and we will update your account.

Morris Laster said: Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Can you help me with an address change?

HBS Staff replied: Wednesday, September 6, 2017

If we are your Registered Agent, we can of course assist you.

Feel free to call 1-800-345-2677, Live Chat from our homepage or email us the address change information to

1 | 2 | 3

Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published