Federal Tax ID Numbers for Non-U.S. Citizens

federal tax id numbers for non-us citizensEntrepreneurs from all over the world incorporate their companies in Delaware in order to take advantage of Delaware’s prestigious corporate law structure.

Each founder aspires to create the next great Delaware company, such as Facebook, Google, Uber or Twitter.

We love being a part of the entrepreneurial process—helping people form their companies, obtaining their Federal Tax ID Numbers for them and cheering them on as they start to achieve their goals.

People from all over the world inquire about obtaining a Federal Tax ID Number or EIN (Employer Identification Number) for their new businesses.

Some people think that because they do not have a Social Security Number, a U.S. address or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) that they cannot obtain an EIN.

This is not true. If you do not have a Social Security number, you are not disqualified from obtaining a Federal Tax ID Number.

How Does a Non-U.S. Citizen Obtain an EIN?

First, you will be required to fill out and submit an SS4 Form, just as any U.S. resident would. The address listed on the SS4 Form can be anywhere in the world. The IRS is only interested in knowing where the business is operating.

In order to obtain an EIN online, you will need a Social Security Number or U.S. address. However, the application for an EIN can be still mailed or faxed to the IRS if you do not meet these requirements. In this case, you will be required to provide a copy of the passport for the person listed as the responsible party.

Be very careful when applying for your EIN, as there are potential drawbacks to dealing with the IRS on your own.

EINs for non-US residentsIf the application is not prepared correctly or is transmitted illegibly, the IRS may fax you a letter of rejection. This letter of rejection can sometimes take weeks to receive; once it is received, you are welcome to re-apply for the EIN, but you will have to start the process from the beginning.

Our dedicated team in the Filings Department will be responsible for making sure your SS4 application is prepared and filed correctly in order to ensure the timely approval of your Federal Tax ID Number.

If there are any problems, we will call the IRS to resolve the issue, thus saving you time and energy so you can concentrate on your new company.  

We can typically obtain an EIN for any international client in seven to twenty business days once we receive a signed SS4 form.

The responsible party controls, manages or directs the applicant’s entity and the distribution of its funds and assets. The responsible party for a corporation must be an actual person, but this person can be an officer of the corporation and he/she can live anywhere in the world.

The responsible party of an LLC can be a member or managing member from anywhere in the world. The responsible party simply signs the document and emails or faxes it back to us. We will follow up with the IRS on your behalf if the EIN is not received in a timely fashion. This can save you hours of frustration, since contacting the IRS can be a lesson in futility at times.  

If you would like to apply for a Federal Tax ID Number for a new or existing company, please call us, regardless of whether or not you have a U.S. Social Security number, ITIN or U.S. address. We can help alleviate the hassle of dealing with an often uncooperative and unfriendly IRS. Please call 1-800-345-2677, Ext. 6910.

*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By Devin Scott

There are 41 comments left for Federal Tax ID Numbers for Non-U.S. Citizens

Darlington julius Benny said: Thursday, July 25, 2019

How do I obtain a Tax ID, wanna buy stocks in the stock exchange, it requires a Tax ID, kindly assist.

HBS Staff replied: Monday, July 29, 2019

Darlington, we would be happy to help you create a Delaware company and obtain an EIN (tax ID) if that is how you would like to proceed. For specific matters related to a Tax ID for yourself as an individual, we recommend checking with a tax professional to see if an Individual Tax Identification Number is the right choice for you.

Tandan said: Sunday, March 10, 2019

I am an Indian resident. Along with three other US citizens we plan to setup a LLC to develop & sell a software product in US. How do I get my individual US TAx ID working from India. What all documents needed. Appreciate your help!

HBS Staff replied: Monday, March 11, 2019

Tandan, we would be happy to help you with obtaining your Tax ID. Please call, email, or chat with us so we can assist.

Juan Carlos Gonzalez Gil said: Friday, March 1, 2019

Good morning, Im planning to sell some products on Amazon FBA and i require to get the EIN number, my concern is that if there is any problem with me having a turist VISA?

HBS Staff replied: Friday, March 1, 2019

Juan, we would be happy to assist you in acquiring an EIN. Contact us via phone, email, or live chat and we can review the requirements with you.

Shobad Ahmed said: Monday, January 28, 2019

Hi, I am a UK citizen. I am a individual not a company. I pay my regular tax in the UK. However I want to invest in a real estate scheme in the US. I have been told I need a US tax ID. How do I go about obtaining one under these circumstances?

HBS Staff replied: Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Shobad, you can learn more about obtaining a Tax ID here. We are also happy to answer your questions via phone, skype, email, or chat. Feel free to reach out to our service team that way.

Roshni Kumar said: Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Hello I have a business based in Fiji. I would like to apply to payment processors which allows us to take payments via credit cards online. Is it possible to obtain an EIN so that I could use US based payment gateways for payment processing? Any assistance would be much appreciated. Kind Regards

HBS Staff replied: Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Roshni, would be happy to help you obtain an EIN. We can typically obtain an EIN for an international client within 10-15 business days. Please contact us to get the process started.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published