Menu X Menu
How may we help you?


Federal Tax ID Numbers for Non-U.S. Citizens
Companies Served Since 1981

Federal Tax ID Numbers for Non-U.S. Citizens

By Devin Scott Tuesday, February 9, 2016

federal tax id numbers for non-us citizensEntrepreneurs from all over the world incorporate their companies in Delaware in order to take advantage of Delaware’s prestigious corporate law structure.


Each one aspires to create the next great Delaware company, such as Facebook, Google, Uber or Twitter.


We love being a part of the entrepreneurial process—helping people form their companies, obtaining their Federal Tax ID Numbers for them and cheering them on as they start to achieve their goals.


People from all over the world inquire about obtaining a Federal Tax ID Number or EIN (Employer Identification Number) for their new businesses.


Some people think that because they do not have a Social Security Number, a U.S. address or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) that they cannot obtain an EIN.


This is not true. If you do not have a Social Security number, you are not disqualified from obtaining a Federal Tax ID Number.


You will be required to fill out and submit an SS4 Form, just as any U.S. resident would. The address listed on the SS4 Form can be anywhere in the world. The IRS is only interested in knowing where the business is operating.


If you do not have a Social Security Number or U.S. address, you cannot obtain an EIN online. The application for an EIN must be mailed or faxed to the IRS. Be very careful when doing so, however, as there are potential drawbacks to dealing with the IRS on your own.


EINs for non-US residents

If the application is not prepared correctly or is transmitted illegibly, the IRS may fax you a letter of rejection. 


This letter of rejection can sometimes take weeks to receive; once it is received, you are welcome to reapply for the EIN, but you will have to start the process from the beginning.


Our dedicated team in the Filings Department will be responsible for making sure your SS4 application is prepared and filed correctly in order to ensure the timely approval of your Federal Tax ID Number.


If there are any problems, we will call the IRS to resolve the issue, thus saving you time and energy so you can concentrate on your new company.  


We can typically obtain an EIN for any international client within ten to fifteen business days. We will prepare the SS4 Form first, and then email it to the responsible party for signature.


The responsible party controls, manages or directs the applicant’s entity and the distribution of its funds and assets. The responsible party for a corporation must be an actual person, but this person can be an officer of the corporation and he/she can live anywhere in the world.


The responsible party of an LLC can be a member or managing member from anywhere in the world. The responsible party simply signs the document and emails or faxes it back to us. Harvard Business Services, Inc. will follow up with the IRS on your behalf if the EIN is not received in a timely fashion. This can save you hours of frustration, since contacting the IRS can be a lesson in futility at times.  


If you would like to apply for a Federal Tax ID Number for a new or existing company, please call us, regardless of whether or not you have a U.S. Social Security number, ITIN or U.S. address.


We can help alleviate the hassle of dealing with an often uncooperative and unfriendly IRS. Please call 1-800-345-2677, Ext. 6910.

More By Devin Scott


Comment Facebook Twitter Google Reddit LinkedIn

There are 2 comments left for Federal Tax ID Numbers for Non-U.S. Citizens

SAIF AHMED KHIZAR says: Thursday, April 27, 2017

Hello, writing this to inquire about setting up a U.S Tax Preparation firm. i am from India and want to register my firm in the U.S. I would like to know more details related to this. I am an indian Citizen needing for an EIN, EFIN, FEDERAL TAX ID NUMBER

HBS Staff replied: Friday, April 28, 2017

Most of our information for non-U.S. residents is on this page:

Feel free to call us at 1-800-645-7400 for further assistance and to start the process of getting your EIN.

Tan Wee teck says: Thursday, February 23, 2017

Hi, How much to apply your EIN service?

HBS Staff replied: Thursday, February 23, 2017

Our prices are listed here, about halfway down the page:

Feel free to call us with any questions. 800-345-CORP

Leave a Comment


* Required

Email Address:

* Required, will not be published

Website: Comment:  
Secure Connection
X Secure & Confidential

Your personal information is encrypted by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.

X Our customers love us!
We have lots of great customer reviews.
Like our service? If you are one of our many satisfied customers, please let us know.
BBB A+ Rating
X A+ Rated BBB Accredited Business

Need more proof that we're the best? Check out our record!

100,000+ Companies Formed

Companies Formed Since 1981

Disclaimer: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is a document filing service that provides general information. We cannot render legal or financial advice and your use of this site is subject to additional terms and conditions. HBS is not affiliated with Harvard University.

© Copyright 1996-2017. All rights reserved.