Menu X Menu
How may we help you?


U.S. Company Formations for Non-Residents
Companies Served Since 1981

U.S. Company Formations for Non-Residents

By Brett Melson Tuesday, July 12, 2016

us company formations for non residentsThe Delaware Corporate Law structure does not impose restrictions on foreign ownership or management.


It also does not require a Delaware LLC to maintain any physical presence in the state of Delaware other than a Registered Office and Registered Agent.


The only document required in order to create an LLC in Delaware is the Certificate of Formation. Unlike other states, Delaware requires very little information to be made public in order to form an LLC.


The Certificate of Formation, which is filed with the Delaware Secretary of State, has to contain only two articles: the name of the Delaware LLC and then the name and address of the Delaware LLC's Registered Office and Registered Agent in Delaware.


In Delaware, members and managers of an LLC are not required to be named on the Certificate of Formation.


Preparation, execution and filing of the Certificate of Formation must be handled by an authorized person or entity; an authorized person is an individual or entity that forms an LLC on behalf of the members by filing the necessary formation documents with the Secretary of State and returning them to the members.


Typically, the authorized person is the LLC’s Registered Agent or an attorney. Once this document is filed, the authorized person releases the LLC to the initial member(s).


The legal instrument that releases the LLC to the initial member(s) is called the Statement of the Authorized Person; this statement is prepared and signed by the Registered Agent, and it is not provided to the state of Delaware.

This information is not required to be filed publicly in Delaware.


U.S. Company Formations for Non-Residents


Why would someone from outside the United States form a company in Delaware? There are numerous advantages to non-residents of the U.S.A. who form companies in Delaware.


When all of an LLC's income is Non-United States Source Income (as defined by the IRS), the members of the LLC who are not residents of the U.S.A. are typically not subject to U.S. federal income taxation.


U.S. non-residents can take advantage of Delaware’s freedom of contract and strong U.S. legal infrastructure without having to provide any member information on the public record; they can also operate their LLC anywhere in the world.


For help determining if your company earns U.S. source income, view the helpful Summary of Source Rules for Income of Nonresident Aliens provided by the IRS.


For more information or questions regarding U.S. company formations for non-residents, please feel free to call us at 1-800-345-CORP.

More By Brett Melson


Comment Facebook Twitter Google Reddit LinkedIn

There is 1 comment left for U.S. Company Formations for Non-Residents

Seyyed Yasha Ullah Afghan says: Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Dear 1 One of our clients non-resident alien is interested in starting an online "snart watch" sales business, and has asked us to look into the necessity of opening up a USA based incorporation. 2 The clients are husband Pakistani Passport and wife US Passport but never lived in US, hence, has no tax records etc, and will most probably opt out for a Limited Partnership Company, until you may suggest a better option. 3 They also need to obtain a bank account along with a Tax ID not just for the company but also for the wife so she can enter into the tax system, which ease her process to sponsor her husband. We hope the above somewhat clarifies the requirements, please be kind and direct us accordingly in terms of documentary requirements. Warm Regards Afghan

HBS Staff replied: Friday, September 16, 2016

Please call us during the hours of 9-5 EST at 1-800-345-2677or Live Chat from our website, so that we may try to assist you.

Leave a Comment


* Required

Email Address:

* Required, will not be published

Website: Comment:  
Secure Connection
X Secure & Confidential

Your personal information is encrypted by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.

X Our customers love us!
We have lots of great customer reviews.
Like our service? If you are one of our many satisfied customers, please let us know.
BBB A+ Rating
X A+ Rated BBB Accredited Business

Need more proof that we're the best? Check out our record!

100,000+ Companies Formed

Companies Formed Since 1981

Disclaimer: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is a document filing service that provides general information. We cannot render legal or financial advice and your use of this site is subject to additional terms and conditions. HBS is not affiliated with Harvard University.

© Copyright 1996-2017. All rights reserved.