Is an SSN or ITIN Required For Obtaining an EIN?

By Justin Damiani Monday, January 28, 2019

IRSAfter forming a new Delaware company, the next step is to obtain an EIN (Employer Identification Number) or Federal Tax ID Number.

If your Delaware company is based outside of the U.S., but plans to conduct business in the U.S., you need an EIN number for a number of reasons: to open a U.S. bank account, hire employees, and initiate PayPal or Stripe accounts, for example.

Due to IRS regulations, if you do not have a Social Security Number or Individual Tax ID Number (ITIN), you will be required to provide a copy of the passport or government-issued ID for the person listed as the responsible party after your order is placed. 

If completing the EIN application sounds daunting to you, you are not the only one. Many of our clients prefer that we handle their EIN number application. Clients tell us all the time that they are pleased with our EIN service and glad they didn’t tackle this time consuming task on their own. We prepare the SS4 Form, email the document to you to review and sign electronically, and we submit it to the IRS.

If forming the Delaware entity, you can add the EIN service at the time of formation. If you have a Social Security Number or ITIN, please provide this to us. If not, you will need to provide a copy of the passport for the person listed as your responsible party for the EIN. This is required so that we can submit the SS4 Form to the IRS to obtain the EIN for your company. Alternatively, you can form the Delaware company and add the EIN service at a later date after you receive your ITIN.

A couple commonly asked questions regarding the EIN application:

What is a 'responsible party', as required on the ss4 form?

The responsible party must be an individual. For a Corporation, the responsible party is an officer of the company and for an LLC, the responsible party is an owner or member of the company. 

As my registered agent, is Harvard Business Services’ address, the address of my company?

The address of your company is not Harvard Business Services’ address. The IRS requires a physical business address for your company, even if it based outside of Delaware and the U.S. Be prepared, as well, to provide the IRS with a brief description of the nature of your business. You have up to 50 characters including spaces for this field. 

I will be happy to assist with any questions you have as I can be reached at 1-800-345-2677 or via email at

*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By Justin Damiani

There is 1 comment left for Is an SSN or ITIN Required For Obtaining an EIN?

Damian said: Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Do you have any accountant to recommend for doing the 1040 returns?

HBS Staff replied: Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Hi Damian - unfortunately, we are unable to recommend any specific accountant for you. We suggest checking with your local Chamber of Commerce for tax accountants nearby that can assist you.

Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published