We Can Help You Become an Authorized iOS App Developer

By Michael Bell Tuesday, January 10, 2017

how to become an authorized ios apps developer

More and more creative people--whether idea-generators or developers--are trying to sell their app ideas to Apple.

We fully encourage and support this entrepreneurial spirt, so we researched the necessary steps you'll need to take in order to become an authorized iOS app developer.

The first step required by Apple is that you enroll in their program for $99 a year. Once you have enrolled, you can submit your application.

Apple states that it will first review the application and, once it has reviewed your application, you will be informed as to what to provide in order for Apple to approve your company as an App Developer.

However, I wanted to know exactly what Apple requires so I asked an array of questions. Here is what I found out:

  • Apple requires a business license. Business licenses differ by state and type of company, so be sure to obtain the proper business license.
  • If you are applying as a company, Apple requires a DUNS Number (a nine-digit number that identifies businesses on a location-specific basis).
  • If you are applying as an individual, you will not need a DUNS Number.
  • The last and most important thing Apple requires (and for some people, this may be the hardest requirement) is a physical address for your business.

authorized ios app developer

Why Do So Many Startups Choose Delaware as the Home State for Their App Company?

As many business owners know, one of the major benefits of incorporating in Delaware is the ability to file a new company without listing director, officer or member information on the public record. 

Why does this matter? Often, many clients who form an app startup are looking to bring in Venture Capitalists or Angel Investors to help fund their business.

If your startup is looking to do that, or at least wants the option, then a Delaware company makes it very easy to distribute ownership percentages (in an LLC) and shares of stock (in a corporation) while still maintaining all confidentiality and liability protection.

The Delaware Court of Chancery has been voted number one for having the strongest corporate law structure for past 13 years. What does this mean for you?

It helps to put up the biggest wall between one’s business life and one’s personal life, so if a lawsuit were presented against your company, it would make it very hard for a litigant to come after you personally.

This, along with many other benefits, helps makes the state of Delaware the number one choice for over 65% of Fortune 500 companies.

Your Delaware company does have to actually operate in the state of Delaware. So how do you show the physical address for a business that is incorporated in Delaware but operates elsewhere?

Typically, business owners file for Foreign Qualification for corporations and LLCs, also known as Certificate of Authority.

Foreign Qualification can help show you are a domestic business entity to Delaware and a foreign entity to the state in which the business is physically conducting business.

foreign qualificaiton for an app companyWe offer a unique Foreign Qualification service to assist you in preparing and filing for Certificate of Authority in the state in which you are physically conducting business.

This can help your business comply with all local and state compliance issues and often help illustrate the information Apple is looking for, such as a physical address to certify you as an Authorized App Developer.

Be sure to read all of Apple's relevant information and how it applies to your specific app idea.  

For any additional questions on how we can help you become an authorized iOS app developer, please email us at info@delawareinc.com or contact our Sales Department at 800-345-2677, Ext. 6900.

*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By Michael Bell
Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published