Do I Need a Delaware Tax Professional?

Tax ProOn a daily basis, Harvard Business Services, Inc. (HBS) is asked by clients if they can form a Delaware company even though they’re based and plan to operate in a different state. The answer to this question is, yes, as you do not have to live in, or even visit, the state of Delaware in order to form a Delaware company. And while Delaware continues to be the most popular state to form companies in, other common questions we generally receive during the formation process include “What are the taxes I will pay in Delaware?” “What other fees will I have to pay?” And one of the most popular questions we receive daily is, “Do I have to work with a Delaware tax professional if I have a Delaware company?”

Many times, clients feel that if they form a Delaware company, they have to work with a Delaware-based accountant which is simply not the case. Keep in mind, for Delaware companies that do not conduct business physically in Delaware, there generally is no state income tax or income tax report required in Delaware. Clients can generally consult with a tax professional convenient to their location for help with other specific tax questions and matters.

For example, Joseph Smith from California wants to form a tech start-up, ABC Technical Consulting, Inc. in Delaware as he wants his company to be protected by the strong corporate law structure of Delaware. He completes the initial formation process, obtains the EIN for the company, and inquires about foreign qualifying his Delaware company in California. He then inquires about the taxes he will potentially owe for his company. Joseph may ask, “What will my taxes be in California?” or “If I make this much money for the year, how much will I pay in taxes? And, “Do I have to contact a Delaware accountant for help with my questions?”

How To Find A Tax Professional

The process of selecting a tax professional is entirely an internal decision and while sometimes, clients may prefer to work with a CPA located in Delaware, it is not a necessary requirement. We consult with clients on a daily basis that already work with an accountant located in their physical location of operation or someone that they may already be familiar with that they’ve worked with in the past.

If clients form a Delaware company and plan to physically operate inside of Delaware by opening a storefront, office, or some type of physical location and plan to hire employees in Delaware, then clients will traditionally work with a Delaware-based tax professional.

Why Hire A Tax Professional

Tax professionals can add value by planning ways to save money on taxes through their expertise in the relevant tax code. Tax professionals stay up-to-date on any changes to taxes that apply to your business which saves you time. This typically minimizes the possiblity of making costly errors, which often can help reduce the an audit.

Having a dedicated Tax professional is a great resource when making financial decisions to help save on taxes or when you need a quick answer to tax-related questions.

As a Delaware Registered Agent, HBS can certainly assist with the annual Delaware Franchise Tax. The company will need to maintain a Delaware-based Registered Agent and pay the Delaware Franchise Tax to remain active and compliant in Delaware. Traditionally, the franchise tax is typically the only tax paid to Delaware if not physically here in Delaware operating. For assistance with other specific tax questions outside that of the Delaware Franchise Tax, clients will generally consult with a tax professional or accountant for guidance as HBS is not a tax expert and does not offer Delaware tax services as a Registered Agent.

If you plan on forming a new Delaware company and obtaining an EIN, or if you have any questions regarding the formation process, we can be reached at 1-302-645-7400 or 1-800-345-2677 ext. 6900 or via email at We can also be reached via skype at delawareinc.

*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By Justin Damiani

There are 3 comments left for Do I Need a Delaware Tax Professional?

yogesh said: Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Thank you for this informative article! I'm always on the lookout for valuable insights and updates in the field . Your blog consistently provides clear and practical guidance, which is tremendously helpful to professionals like me. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to more expert advice in the future

Sam Andrews said: Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Hi! My neighborhood baker is a wheelchair-bound lady who's planning to expand her business next year through several tax credits available for her. You were such a lifesaver in revealing that with the help of a tax expert, we'd be able to determine what kind of tax exemption we're eligible for. I'll let her know about this so she can get the paperwork done more efficiently.

HBS Staff replied: Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Hi Sam, 

Thank you for reading our blog. We are glad you found it helpful.

Ljubisa Pejin said: Wednesday, November 16, 2022

I have one question. Maybe some one asked I am not sure. So let' say I form LLC in Delaware. obtain EIN and bank account. So let say I buy goods in California, from California based company , store in logistics warehouse in California and then sell to client outside USA, meaning this LLC makes papers and export goods outside USA. Profit made on this type of trade, which tax do I pay ? Delaware tax on profit ? Do I need to register also in California as Foreign company. Second if we sell online goods trough lets say Amazon or Ebay or NewEgg, I am obliged to collect sales tax, but then tax on profit do I still pay in Delaware? In all situations I am not resident in USA. Thank you for your answer.

HBS Staff replied: Thursday, November 17, 2022

Hi Ljubisa,

Thank you for reading our article and for your questions. We are happy to further assist and one of our representatives will reach out to further assist.

Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published