Menu X Menu
How may we help you?


How to Close a Company
Companies Served Since 1981

How to Close a Company

By Brett Melson Monday, November 30, 2015

how to close a company

Unfortunately, companies sometimes run their course and no longer yield any profit for their owners.


When that happens, you need to take care of a few important steps. 



What Will You Need to Close a Company?


When your company was originally filed, a Certificate of Formation/Certificate of Incorporation was submitted in order to create the new entity. When it is time to close a company, a document is filed with the Delaware Division of Corporations; this document is called a Certificate of Dissolution for corporations, and a Certificate of Cancellation for LLCs.


How can we help you close your company?


We can make the process of closing your company as simple as possible. All you need to do is call us at 800-345-2677 or email us and we'll take it from there. We can prepare and file all the necessary documentation for you.


Before we can proceed with the filing of the documents, however, all your company's Franchise Taxes must be paid, including the current year. We can prepare a Certificate of Dissolution or Certificate of Cancellation for your signature and forward it to you via fax or email.


It must be signed by the authorized person of the LLC or an appropriate officer of the corporation. Once signed, simply return it to us by fax or email, and we will file the certificate with the state of Delaware within 24 hours.


The state typically takes 3 to 5 business days to return the receipt of filing. As soon as the approved document is available, we will forward it to you for your records. We strongly suggest clients speak with their accountant/tax professional before proceeding with a dissolution or cancellation of a company. Once the filing is approved, it is difficult to undo.


If your company has a bank account, you should close the account before filing the Certificate of Dissolution/Cancellation. If you have filed taxes with the IRS, you will need to file a closing tax return after filing the Certificate of Dissolution/Cancellation, and attach a certified copy of the certificate to your final tax return.


Please call us at 800-345-2677 or email  us for more information on how to close a company.



More By Brett Melson


Comment Facebook Twitter Google Reddit LinkedIn

Leave a Comment


* Required

Email Address:

* Required, will not be published

Website: Comment:  
Secure Connection
X Secure & Confidential

Your personal information is encrypted by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.

X Our customers love us!
We have lots of great customer reviews.
Like our service? If you are one of our many satisfied customers, please let us know.
BBB A+ Rating
X A+ Rated BBB Accredited Business

Need more proof that we're the best? Check out our record!

100,000+ Companies Formed

Companies Formed Since 1981

Disclaimer: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is a document filing service that provides general information. We cannot render legal or financial advice and your use of this site is subject to additional terms and conditions. HBS is not affiliated with Harvard University.

© Copyright 1996-2017. All rights reserved.