Menu X Menu
How may we help you?


Doing Business in West Virginia with a Delaware Company
Companies Served Since 1981

Doing Business in West Virginia with a Delaware Company

By Devin Scott Monday, November 7, 2016

Doing Business in West Virginia with a Delaware Company

The state of Delaware is known for providing the best protection to members of a Delaware LLC and directors of a Delaware corporation. Business owners from all over the world form Delaware LLCs and corporations for this reason.


When a Delaware company is formed, the business is domestic to Delaware and foreign to every other state. If you are operating in the state of West Virginia with a Delaware corporation or LLC, your business is foreign to West Virginia.


The process by which West Virginia gives your Delaware company permission to operate there is called Foreign Qualification. Each state’s requirements when it comes to Foreign Qualification are different.


If you do not file for Foreign Qualification in West Virginia, your business will not be operating in compliance, which means you may be putting your company at risk.

To register as a foreign business entity in West Virginia, you will need to pay the West Virginia Secretary of State a fee as well as complete the West Virginia application for Certificate of Authority.


West Virginia also requires you to provide a Delaware Certificate of Good Standing. A Certificate of Good Standing is a document that Delaware uses to verify that you have maintained a Registered Agent in Delaware and are up to date with annual Delaware Franchise Tax.


Here at Harvard Business Services, Inc. we have a Foreign Qualification department to assist business owners with this necessary process. We will prepare the documents, obtain the Good Standing Certificate from Delaware, and email the documents to the client for signature.


A member or manager is required to sign the application for an LLC, and a director is required to sign the form for a corporation. We will file the application directly with the West Virginia Secretary of State.


foreign qualification for virginia

On the application, West Virginia will ask for your company’s Registered Agent in West Virginia.


The Registered Agent’s job is to receive any legal documents or service of process for your company and forward it to your company’s contact person.


We can take care of Registered Agent service in West Virginia for your company.


The typical turnaround time for Foreign Qualification approval is often five business days. You will then be sent your company’s Certificate of Authority.


If you have a questions about operating a Delaware LLC or corporation in West Virginia, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-345-2677, Ext. 6130.

More By Devin Scott


Comment Facebook Twitter Google Reddit LinkedIn

Leave a Comment


* Required

Email Address:

* Required, will not be published

Website: Comment:  
Secure Connection
X Secure & Confidential

Your personal information is encrypted by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.

X Our customers love us!
We have lots of great customer reviews.
Like our service? If you are one of our many satisfied customers, please let us know.
BBB A+ Rating
X A+ Rated BBB Accredited Business

Need more proof that we're the best? Check out our record!

100,000+ Companies Formed

Companies Formed Since 1981

Disclaimer: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is a document filing service that provides general information. We cannot render legal or financial advice and your use of this site is subject to additional terms and conditions. HBS is not affiliated with Harvard University.

© Copyright 1996-2017. All rights reserved.