How to Change Your Business Name with the IRS

Changing your company name with the IRS

If you have recently changed the name of your LLC or corporation, you’ll need to know how to execute an IRS business name change, as well as an EIN name change. It’s your responsibility to make sure that everyone knows your company’s new name, including the IRS. 

Under most circumstances, changing your business name with the IRS will not require a new EIN—though it will require an EIN name change. To make this determination, see IRS Publication 1635.

Although it’s rare, sometimes changes to business names are made right after EINs are issued. If you recently received your EIN and have not made any tax filings with the IRS, then send your business name change request to: IRS, Stop 6055, Kansas City, MO 64999

If you've already filed a tax return for the entity, there are two ways to notify the IRS of your LLC’s business name change

  1. When filing a current year tax return, you can change your business name with the IRS by checking the name change box on the entity’s respective form:
  • Corporations – Form 1120, Page 1, Line E, Box 3
  • S-Corporation – Form 1120S, Page, 1, Line H, Box 2
  • LLC (sole member) – cannot update name by filing return; must use Option 2.
  • LLC (multi member) - Form 1065, Page 1, Line G, Box 3
  1. If you have already filed the return for the current year, you do not have to wait until next year to start an IRS name change for your LLC or corporation. Changing the name of an LLC or corporation typically requires a Certificate of Amendment to be filed with the state or country where the business entity was originally formed.
  2. Deliver a filed copy of this Certificate of Amendment, along with a letter informing the IRS of the business name change, to the address where you filed your return. Corporations must have the letter signed by a corporate officer while LLCs must have the letter signed by a member.

When you’ve informed the IRS, business name changes need to be announced to other companies you do business with, too. 

It’s a good idea to make a list of all the other agencies and companies that you do business with on a regular basis; be sure to include all state and local tax authorities, vendors, suppliers, service companies and banks. 

This will help keep you organized during the transition and make sure your mail service is not interrupted. Remember, It’s your responsibility to make sure everyone is on the same page in this new chapter of your company, including the IRS.

We can help you file a Certificate of Amendment if you would like to change the name of your LLC or corporation. Call us at 1-800-345-CORP if you are thinking about changing your LLC or corporation name.

*Disclaimer*: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is neither a law firm nor an accounting firm and, even in cases where the author is an attorney, or a tax professional, nothing in this article constitutes legal or tax advice. This article provides general commentary on, and analysis of, the subject addressed. We strongly advise that you consult an attorney or tax professional to receive legal or tax guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. Any action taken or not taken based on this article is at your own risk. If an article cites or provides a link to third-party sources or websites, Harvard Business Services, Inc. is not responsible for and makes no representations regarding such source’s content or accuracy. Opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect those of Harvard Business Services, Inc.

More By Paul Sponaugle

There are 15 comments left for Change Your Business Name with the IRS

???? said: Friday, February 26, 2021

Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

HBS Staff replied: Friday, February 26, 2021

Hello, Thank you for reading our article and we're glad you found it helpful. 

? ??? said: Friday, February 26, 2021

Wonderful goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just extremely great. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what you're saying and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful website.

HBS Staff replied: Friday, February 26, 2021

Thank you for reading our article and we're glad you found it to be helpful and informative.

?????? said: Friday, February 26, 2021

You need to take part in a contest for one of the highest quality websites online. I am going to highly recommend this site!

HBS Staff replied: Friday, February 26, 2021

Thank you for reading our article and your kind comments. If you have any questions we are here to assist.

Dorin P said: Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Hi! I am writing on behalf of an LLC that recently changed their name and filed the income tax return with the new name. We also got a letter 147C confirming the new name is matched with the EIN. Since we are an online business, I applied for a Stripe payment processor account and their verification process with the IRS database still shows a match between the old company name and the EIN. Is it possible that the IRS database is in fact not updated although we received Letter 147C? Should I inform other partners of the name change in this situation, or wait until it's sorted out? Thank you!

HBS Staff replied: Thursday, January 21, 2021

The IRS has been quite delayed in a number of different areas for the past 10 months. We would recommend you call them directly to confirm the change was recorded properly. We can't advise on when to inform your partners, but generally, the IRS can give you a quick response once you're able to get through to them.

Carli S. said: Monday, September 14, 2020

I received my EIN from the IRS before checking if the name was available with my state. When filling out the documents, that legal name was not available. I now have two different LLC names, one with the IRS and one with the state of PA - They share the same EIN. How can I update my LLC name with the IRS to match the one approved by the state?

HBS Staff replied: Monday, September 14, 2020

In this situation, you will likely only have to inform the IRS of the name change via a mailed letter, but it is best to check with them first. You can find more info and contact details here:

1 | 2 | 3

Leave a Comment
* Required
* Required, will not be published