Ohio Foreign Qualification 

Request Information

Related: Get a Ohio Registered Agent

If your company was not incorporated in Ohio, but you wish to do business there, you need to register as a foreign entity with the state.

Acquiring an Ohio Foreign Qualification allows a company formed in Delaware or any other state to legally transact business in Ohio.

Please note: information on this page is accurate to the best of our knowledge. However, requirements and costs can be changed by states at any time and Harvard Business Services cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.

How to Get an Ohio Certificate of Authority:

The Ohio Secretary of State requires different forms and fees depending on what type of entity you are operating.

Requirements for LLCs:

  • File a 533B: Registration of a Foreign LLC
  • Fee: $99
  • Certificate of Good Standing is not required for LLCs. 

Requirements for Corporations:

  • File a 503A: Foreign For-Profit Corporation Application or 530B: Foreign Nonprofit Corporation Application 
  • Fee for Nonprofit Corporations: $99
  • Fee for Stock Corporations: $99
  • Certificate of Good Standing dated within 90 days of application required. 

You must also appoint and list an Ohio Registered Agent. The Registered Agent must be maintained at all times. Harvard Business Services can provide this service at a cost of just $99/year.

Harvard Business Services can assist with your application so you don’t have to deal with the Ohio Secretary of State directly. We do charge our own fee for this service, in addition to state fees. The exact fee can vary based upon whether your company is already filed and whether you need us to obtain additional documents to meet the state’s requirements. Please contact us for an exact quote.

How Do I Know if I Need an Ohio Certificate of Authority?

In Ohio, a Certificate of Authority is required. Other common reasons for applying for a certificate of authority include:

  • Opening a physical office or location
  • Hiring employees
  • Maintaining bank accounts
  • Licensing authority
  • Beginning a contract or job in the state 

Keep in mind that even if an Ohio Certificate of Authority is not required for a specific activity, a bank, vendor or another party can still require one in order to establish a relationship.

Ohio Annual Requirements

Ohio state law does not require foreign corporations or LLCs to file annual reports. 

Please note that this annual requirement is independent from any obligations you may have in Delaware or other states.

Since 1981, Harvard Business Services, Inc. has helped form 410,106 Delaware corporations and LLCs for people all over the world.

Registered Agent Service

Harvard Business Services, Inc. guarantees your annual Delaware Registered Agent Fee will remain fixed at $50 per company, per year, for the life of your company.