Filing a Foreign Corporation or LLC in Mississippi

Request Information

Filing a Foreign Corporation or LLC in Mississippi

If your company was not incorporated in Mississippi, but you wish to do business there, you need to apply for a Mississippi Certificate of Authority.

Known as Foreign Qualification, this process allows a company formed in Delaware or any other state to legally transact business in Mississippi.

Please note: information on this page is accurate to the best of our knowledge. However, requirements and costs can be changed by states at any time and Harvard Business Services cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.

How to Get a Certificate of Authority in Mississippi:

Existing LLCs and Corporations have the same document requirements in this state when applying for Foreign Qualification:

  • Certificate of Good Standing from the company’s home state, dated within 60 days.
    Note: this document is also referred to as a Certificate of Existence in some states.

Mississippi requires an application to be submitted along with a fee of $250 for LLCs or $500 for corporations. An additional online processing fee may also be imposed by the state. This fee is typically nominal (approximately $8 for an LLC or $13 for a corporation) but may vary

In addition, you must appoint and maintain a Mississippi Registered Agent at all times. We can provide this service for just $99 per year.

Harvard Business Services can assist with your application so you don’t have to deal with the Mississippi Secretary of State directly. We do charge our own fee for this service, in addition to state fees. The exact fee can vary based upon whether your company is already filed and whether you need us to obtain additional documents to meet the state’s requirements. Contact us for an exact quote.

How Do I Know if I Need a Mississippi Certificate of Authority?

To do business in the state of Mississippi after being incorporated elsewhere, our clients often need to obtain Foreign Qualification. Typically, “doing business” is defined by activities such as maintaining a physical office or having employees in the state.

Keep in mind that even if the state of Mississippi does not require a Certificate of Authority for a specific activity, a bank, vendor or another party can still require one in order to establish a relationship.

Mississippi Annual Report Requirements

Once you have Foreign Qualification in Mississippi, you will be required to file an annual report in order to keep your company in good standing status with the state. For LLCs, there is a fee of $250 to file this report. For corporations, the fee is just $22.

Please note that this annual requirement is independent from requirements you may have in Delaware or other states.

Since 1981, Harvard Business Services, Inc. has helped form 186,938 Delaware corporations and LLCs for people all over the world.

Registered Agent Service

Harvard Business Services, Inc. guarantees your annual Delaware Registered Agent Fee will remain fixed at $50 per company, per year, for the life of your company.