Filing a Foreign Corporation or LLC in Kentucky

Request Information

Related: Get a Kentucky Registered Agent

If your company was not incorporated in Kentucky, but you wish to do business there, you need to register as a foreign entity with the state.

Known as Foreign Qualification, this process allows a company incorporated in Delaware or any other state to legally transact business in Kentucky.

Please note: information on this page is accurate to the best of our knowledge. However, requirements and costs can be changed by states at any time and Harvard Business Services cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.

How to Get a Certificate of Authority in Kentucky:

The Kentucky Secretary of State requires different forms and fees depending on what type of entity you are operating.

Requirements for LLCs:

  • File a LLC Application for Certificate of Authority
  • Fee: $90
  • Certified articles of formation or Certificate of Good Standing are not required in Kentucky.

Requirements for Corporations:

  • File a Corporation Application for Certification of Authority
  • Fee: $90
  • Certified articles of incorporation or Certificate of Good Standing are not required in Kentucky.

You must also appoint and list a Kentucky Registered Agent. The Registered Agent must be maintained at all times. Harvard Business Services can provide this service at a cost of just $99/year.

Harvard Business Services can assist with your application so you don’t have to deal with the Kentucky Secretary of State directly. We do charge our own fee for this service, in addition to state fees. The exact fee can vary based upon whether your company is already filed and whether you need us to obtain additional documents to meet the state’s requirements. Please contact us for an exact quote.

How Do I Know if I Need a Kentucky Certificate of Authority?

The most common reasons to apply for Certificate of Authority if you plan to:

  • Open an office or physical location within the state
  • Hire employees who reside in the state
  • Before beginning a contract or job

Keep in mind that even if the State of Kentucky does not require a Certificate of Authority for a specific activity, a bank, vendor or another party can still require one in order to establish a relationship.

Kentucky Annual Requirements

Once you have Foreign Qualification in Kentucky, the Commonwealth of Kentucky requires all LLCs, Corporations (for-profit and non-profit), and LPs to submit an annual report. These reports can be filed anytime between January 1 and June 30th. The report can be filed online or mailed in.   

The fee for LLCs, Corporations, an LPs to file an annual report is $15.

Please note that this annual requirement is independent from requirements you may have in Delaware or other states.

Since 1981, Harvard Business Services, Inc. has helped form 313,294 Delaware corporations and LLCs for people all over the world.

Registered Agent Service

Harvard Business Services, Inc. guarantees your annual Delaware Registered Agent Fee will remain fixed at $50 per company, per year, for the life of your company.