New Mexico Certificate of Authority

Request Information

Related: Get a New Mexico Registered Agent

If your company was not incorporated in New Mexico, but you wish to do business there, you need to register as a foreign entity with the state.

Acquiring New Mexico Foreign Qualification allows a company formed in Delaware or any other state to legally transact business in New Mexico.

Please note: information on this page is accurate to the best of our knowledge. However, requirements and costs can be changed by states at any time and Harvard Business Services cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.

How to Get a New Mexico Certificate of Authority:

The New Mexico Secretary of State requires different forms and fees depending on what type of entity you are operating.

Foreign Qualification Requirements for LLCs:

  • File an Application for a New Mexico Certificate of Authority
  • Fee: $100
  • In New Mexico, a Certificate of Good Standing dated within 30 days of application is required. 

Foreign Qualification Requirements for Corporations:

  • File an Application for a New Mexico Certificate of Authority 
  • Fee for Stock Corporations: Depends on number of authorized shares. Minimum $200 and maximum of $1,000.
  • Fee for Nonprofit Corporations: $25 
  • In New Mexico, a Certificate of Good Standing dated within 30 days of application is required. 


You must also appoint and list a New Mexico Registered Agent. The Registered Agent must be maintained at all times. Harvard Business Services can provide this service at a cost of just $99/year.

Harvard Business Services can assist with your application so you don’t have to deal with the New Mexico Secretary of State directly. We do charge our own fee for this service, in addition to state fees. The exact fee can vary based upon whether your company is already filed and whether you need us to obtain additional documents to meet the state’s requirements. Please contact us for an exact quote.


How Do I Know If I Need a New Mexico Certificate of Authority?

In New Mexico, a Certificate of Authority is required. Some of the most common reasons for applying for a New Mexico certificate of authority include:

  • Opening a physical office or location
  • Hiring employees
  • Maintaining bank accounts
  • Licensing authority
  • Beginning a contract or job in the state 

Keep in mind that even if a New Mexico Certificate of Authority is not required for a specific activity, a bank, vendor or another party can still require one in order to establish a relationship.

New Mexico Annual Requirements

Once you have New Mexico Foreign Qualification, state law requires entities to file an annual report. These are to be filed by stock corporations and are due biennially, typically by April 15th. Companies can look up their next report date online

Nonprofit corporations are required to file an annual report every year, typically by April 15th. 

Foreign Stock Corporations biennial report fee is $25.

Foreign Nonprofit Corporations annual report fee is $10.

Foreign  LLCs, LPs, and LLPs are not required to file an annual report.  

Please note that annual requirements for New Mexico Foreign Qualification are independent from requirements you may have in Delaware or other states.

Since 1981, Harvard Business Services, Inc. has helped form 413,818 Delaware corporations and LLCs for people all over the world.

Registered Agent Service

Harvard Business Services, Inc. guarantees your annual Delaware Registered Agent Fee will remain fixed at $50 per company, per year, for the life of your company.