Montana Certificate of Authority

Request Information

Related: Get a Montana Registered Agent

If your company was not incorporated in Montana, but you wish to do business there, you need to register as a foreign entity with the state.

Montana Foreign Qualification allows a company formed in Delaware or any other state to legally transact business in Montana.

Please note: information on this page is accurate to the best of our knowledge. However, requirements and costs can be changed by states at any time and Harvard Business Services cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information.

How to Get a Montana Certificate of Authority:

The Montana Secretary of State requires different forms and fees depending on what type of entity you are operating.

Requirements for LLCs:

  • File for a Foreign LLC Certificate of Authority
  • Fee: $70
  • In Montana, a Certificate of Good Standing is not required. 

Requirements for Corporations:

  • File an Application for Corporate Certificate of Registration
  • Fee for Stock Corporations: $70
  • Fee for Nonstock Corporations: $20 
  • In Montana, a Certificate of Good Standing is not required. 

You must also appoint and list a Montana Registered Agent. The Registered Agent must be maintained at all times. Harvard Business Services can provide this service at a cost of just $99/year.

Harvard Business Services can assist with your application so you don’t have to deal with the Montana Secretary of State directly. We do charge our own fee for this service, in addition to state fees. The exact fee can vary based upon whether your company is already filed and whether you need us to obtain additional documents to meet the state’s requirements. Please contact us for an exact quote.

How Do I Know If I Need a Montana Certificate of Authority?

In Montana, a Certificate of Authority is required. Other common reasons for applying for a certificate of authority include:

  • Opening a physical office or location
  • Hiring employees
  • Maintaining bank accounts
  • Licensing authority
  • Beginning a contract or job in the state 

Keep in mind that even if a Montana Certificate of Authority is not required for a specific activity, a bank, vendor or another party can still require one in order to establish a relationship.

Montana Annual Requirements

Once you have Foreign Qualification in Montana, state law requires entities to file an annual report. These are to be filed by all corporations and are due by April 15th each year.

Foreign Corporations annual report fee is $20.

LLCs and LPs do not have to file an annual report but they must pay a renewal fee once every 5 years on the anniversary date of filing.

Please note that this annual requirement is independent from requirements you may have in Delaware or other states.

Since 1981, Harvard Business Services, Inc. has helped form 413,817 Delaware corporations and LLCs for people all over the world.

Registered Agent Service

Harvard Business Services, Inc. guarantees your annual Delaware Registered Agent Fee will remain fixed at $50 per company, per year, for the life of your company.