Menu X Menu
How may we help you?


I Can't Find My Employee Identification Number
Companies Served Since 1981

I Can't Find My Employee Identification Number

By Brett Melson Tuesday, May 23, 2017

I can't find my EIN



How To Find Your EIN


"I can't find my EIN!"

"How do I find my EIN?"

"I lost my EIN!"


We receive calls like this from panicked business owners all the time, frazzled and upset because they can't find their EIN. 


If you know you have applied for an Employer Identification Number or EIN (also known as a Federal Tax ID Number) but have misplaced it, you have several options.


If we obtained the EIN number on behalf of your company, we can provide the number to you over the phone if you call our toll free number at 800-345-2677.


If we did not obtain your EIN, look back in the early records of your business. When you first applied for an EIN, the IRS issued you a computer-generated notice. This confirmed your application and also served as a receipt of the EIN.


If you can't find your EIN in your records, the next option is to contact your bank, because a Federal Tax ID Number was required to open the business account and your bank should have it on file.


In addition, if you applied for any local or state license, that agency should have your EIN on record, as well as on any correspondence regarding your business.


Finally, if you have exhausted these methods and are still unable to locate the EIN for your business, you can ask the IRS to search for it. This can be accomplished by calling the Business & Specialty Tax Line at 800- 829-4933. The IRS is available Monday - Friday, 7 AM - 10 PM.


The representative will ask you some questions to make sure you are an authorized person for your company, such as a member's, corporate officer's or director's name. When this has been established, the IRS representative should be able to provide the number to you over the telephone.


Be prepared to spend some time on the phone waiting, since it is the IRS, after all.

More By Brett Melson


Comment Facebook Twitter Google Reddit LinkedIn

Leave a Comment


* Required

Email Address:

* Required, will not be published

Website: Comment:  
Secure Connection
X Secure & Confidential

Your personal information is encrypted by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.

X Our customers love us!
We have lots of great customer reviews.
Like our service? If you are one of our many satisfied customers, please let us know.
BBB A+ Rating
X A+ Rated BBB Accredited Business

Need more proof that we're the best? Check out our record!

100,000+ Companies Formed

Companies Formed Since 1981

Disclaimer: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is a document filing service that provides general information. We cannot render legal or financial advice and your use of this site is subject to additional terms and conditions. HBS is not affiliated with Harvard University.

© Copyright 1996-2017. All rights reserved.