Menu X Menu
How may we help you?


EIN Order Form Now on
Companies Served Since 1981

EIN Order Form Now on

By Paul Sponaugle Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Whether it’s changing the name of an entity or re-organizing an entity, changes like this often seem to raise the question, “Do I need to get a new EIN?” Ultimately, that decision will be made by the IRS, but as a rule of thumb, any time a business re-organizes it will need a new EIN (Federal Tax ID).  Examples of re-organization include:

  • Changing from a corporation to another entity, like an LLC or Limited Partnership, or vice versa
  • Incorporating in a new state, resulting in a new state charter
  • Merging corporations, resulting in a new corporation
  • Changing a sole proprietor to a partnership or other business entity like a corporation, LLC, etc
  • Changing a partnership to a sole proprietor or other business entity like a corporation, LLC, etc
  • Changes to a partnership, resulting in a new partnership (i.e. one partner out, a new partner in)
  • Changes in business ownership that result in the original EIN applicant no longer maintaining ownership of the company

Aside from re-organizing a business, most other changes typically do not require a new EIN.  Some examples of changes that do not require a new EIN are:

  • Changing the name of your business
  • Changing a location or adding a location
  • Electing to be taxed as an S corporation or electing, on Form 8832 Entity Classification Election, to change the way the entity is taxed
  • A partnership or corporation declares bankruptcy

These lists are not meant to cover all situations, but do cover a number of common changes we see every day here at Harvard Business Services, Inc.  If you still wonder whether or not you need a new EIN, check out this article entitled, “Do You Need a New EIN?”

You can fill out this order form if you'd like Harvard Business Services, Inc. to obtain a new EIN order form for your business. It's never been easier!


Comment Facebook Twitter Google Reddit LinkedIn

Leave a Comment


* Required

Email Address:

* Required, will not be published

Website: Comment:  
Secure Connection
X Secure & Confidential

Your personal information is encrypted by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software so that it cannot be read as the information travels over the Internet.

X Our customers love us!
We have lots of great customer reviews.
Like our service? If you are one of our many satisfied customers, please let us know.
BBB A+ Rating
X A+ Rated BBB Accredited Business

Need more proof that we're the best? Check out our record!

100,000+ Companies Formed

Companies Formed Since 1981

Disclaimer: Harvard Business Services, Inc. is a document filing service that provides general information. We cannot render legal or financial advice and your use of this site is subject to additional terms and conditions. HBS is not affiliated with Harvard University.

© Copyright 1996-2017. All rights reserved.